Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Today is the 116th anniversary of the United States Navy's establsihment of the Chief Petty Officer grade, marking the birth of one of the most effective, tightly-knit and unique professional fraternities the world has ever seen.

US Navy Chiefs around the world will pause today to reflect on the honored traditions of our Mess and the heritage associated with it. This is what binds us together as Brothers- and Sisters-In-Arms, enhances our effectiveness as Leaders and Mentors, and enables us to collaborate to solve problems, motivate our Sailors and ultimately, effectively fight the ship.


I became a US Navy Chief Petty Officer on September 16th 1984, before many of those serving in our Navy today were born. It was, without question the best day of my life. I learned how to be a Chief through lessons I learned from Chiefs for whom I had worked over the years as a junior Sailor, and closely observed the members of the Chiefs' Mess on my ship to develop my skills to first lead a shipboard Division of Sailors and ultimately serve as the Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Commanding Officer. Those years brought me professional and personal fulfillment beyond words and to this day, having stowed my uniform some years ago, there is nothing more important to me than the CPO Fellowship in which I knew trust in the other Chiefs and made lifelong friendships.

Today I salute all of my fellow Navy Chiefs, as well as those who will follow in our footsteps, for your service and personal sacrifices, your dedication in the defense of our Nation's freedom.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHIEFS!



Follow this link for detailed history of US Navy Chief Petty Officers


No comments:

Post a Comment